| In the early decades
of the 1900s, the Jewish Consumptive Aid Association, which had done
so much to help victims of Tuberculosis, decided to change its mission
and began to focus on helping the chronically ill and disabled. In
1942, they opened the 50-bed Jewish Incurable Hospital in East End
Montreal. Soon after, it changed its name to Jewish Hospital of Hope.
Twenty-five years later, it became apparent that there was a shortage
of nursing homes for Montreal’s Jewish elderly. In 1970, the
44-bed Jewish Nursing Home opened its doors in the former nurses’
residence of the Jewish Hospital of Hope.
With the need for further expansion, and to be closer to the community,
both institutions relocated to new state-of-the art buildings in the
Cote-des-Neiges area in 1993, with a total of 320
beds. The new buildings provided an enormous improvement in the quality
of long-term care available to the community.
Provincial government legislation that was introduced in 1992 had
the aim of consolidating long term care institutions that were located
in the same area. In December 2000, an integration process was completed
and the two institutions became one: the Jewish Eldercare